There are several ways you can make your own ice cream, but first, let me start with the question 'why would you do it yourself? '. There is a lot of delicious ice cream out there.
The reason is simple: it is much more delicious. Besides, it's nice to do, and you can decide for yourself what flavors of ice cream you make and experiment with it. And there it doesn't have to be summer for though.
Making ice cream is also not difficult at all, with an ice machine at all. By hand, it is more labor-intensive, but the result is always worth it. I am talking about room-or sorbet, but ice cream is also very simple to make and there you do not need any ice machine. I put the possibilities to make ice cream and the corresponding explanations for you today in a row.
Make ice cream with or without ice machine
When you want to make ice cream, you can choose to do this with or without an ice machine. If you're going to go for classic ice cream, you get the best result with an ice machine.
What an ice maker is doing is freezing the ice and mixing it at the same time, this causes as little ice crystals as possible, and the ice becomes soft and creamy.
If you like to make your own ice cream without an ice cream maker then you have to use a blender. Just be careful that not all blender can help you to make the ice cream. You have to use a blender for ice which has more power than a regular blender.
Meanwhile when you choose to use an ice maker, then you have to be prepared to spend more money since it can cost you $300 or above to just buy a machine that can help you to make an ice cream only. But with blender, you can use it for other things, like to make a smoothie, hot soup, etc.
The big difference between the ice machines and blender is an ice cream maker has the self-freezing power which allows you to make ice cream and make several ice sorts consecutively instantly.
Start making your own ice cream at home
The ice cream was first time created in Europe since the 17th century. It was made with egg, milk, cream, and sugar. Regarding the flavour, you can vary endlessly. From classical vanilla to Oreo ice cream.
What you need to make 1-liter ice cream:
- 250 ml whole milk
- 250 ml whipped cream (no light variant or similar)
- 4 egg yolks (size L)
- 75 gr white caster sugar
- Ice machine or flat bucket for the freezer
There are several ways to make your own ice cream. The classic way is first to heat the milk and eggs, then let it cool completely, then make the flavor additions and then freeze. Since you do not have a chance of salmonella by heating, we choose to give the traditional basic recipe.
1. Heat the milk to about 70 degrees. When you make vanilla ice cream, you will have to bring an open-cut vanilla pod.
2. Mix in a bowl the egg yolks together with the sugar to a yellowish, thick mass. Make sure that the sugar is completely dissolved. Then pour the egg mixture at the milk. Raise the heat and heat the whole of the boiler until the egg yolks are tied (at 82 degrees).
3. Keep stirring well and once the egg yolks are tied it may be the whole of the fire. If you want extra airy ice cream, you can still beat it with the mixer now. Put the whole in the refrigerator to cool off properly.
4. Whisk as this has cooled the whipped cream lobed to stiff and mix this through the mixture from the refrigerator.
5. Add any flavor makers now. This can be anything. Some ingredients require a slightly different method of preparation (e.g. using alcohol). Always look for this in advance.
6. Now pour the ice into the ice machine. It takes 30-45 minutes before the ice has the right structure. Keep it covered in the freezer.
Ice cream without ice machine maker
Put the ice cream mixture in a flat container in the freezer. Stir for 2 – 3 hours every 30 minutes to avoid ice crystals formation. Then leave for a night in the freezer to harden well. When you only have a freezer, the freezing force is less strong and you have to take the time longer for both stirring and full freeze time.
You can also make ice cream with a blender with yogurt or condensed milk for example. Check in advance the working method and preparation time. This will be different with the use of other products as well.
Sorbet can be an alternative
If you a diet person and want to consume ice cream but afraid to get some fat from it, then sorbet can be an alternative. The difference between sorbet and regular ice cream is no dairy in sorbet. It is mainly made with fruit and is fresher than ice cream. You can make it both with and without ice machine. The quantity of the ingredients depends on the type of fruit you use, the one fruit contains more water than the other. When you go out of strawberries the basic necessities below are correct.
Basic necessities (1 liter ice cream):
- 500 gr Fruit (Strawberry, Mango, Coconut)
- 250 ml water
- 125 GR Sugar
1. Mash the fruit and remove it by a sieve.
2. Heat the sugar with the water until the sugar is completely dissolved.
3. Let the sugar syrup cool down completely in a (cold) container that you put in cold water or ice cubes.
4. Then mix the sugar syrup with the mashed fruit.
5. Allow the mixture to cool completely in the refrigerator and then pour the ice into the ice machine. It takes 45-60 minutes before the ice has the right structure.
Without ice machine sorbet make? Place it in a flat container in the freezer and scoop in 2 hours time every 30 minutes. At the fourth time you can do it again in a mixer if you like to have smooth ice. Then put the ice in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
Enjoy your ice cream!